Yemen's Houthi movement says it fired missiles at a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels in the Red Sea, extending a naval blockade against Saudi-linked shipping that began in late July. The claim is unverified independently, but it fits a pattern of strikes that has already pushed oil prices higher and forced ship operators to reconsider Red Sea routes.
Yemen's Houthi movement says it launched missiles at a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels in the Red Sea, the latest in a string of claimed attacks since the group declared a naval blockade against Saudi vessels in late July. Independent verification of the incident has not been confirmed.
A blockade with real consequences
The Houthis, formally known as Ansar Allah and backed by Iran, announced their naval blockade targeting Saudi vessels around July 20, 2026. Since then, Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree has claimed responsibility for strikes on multiple Saudi-linked vessels, particularly oil tankers.
Tankers including the Wafa, Daisy, Encelia, Layla, and NCC Ghazal have all been named in Houthi strike claims, with incidents reported near strategic chokepoints like the port city of Yanbu and the Gulf of Aden. In one of the deadliest incidents, at least six crew members were killed aboard the cargo ship Tihamah, which the Houthis claimed was carrying military equipment. Other tanker incidents have been less lethal but no less disruptive, with explosions and fires reported on multiple vessels while crews often escaped unharmed.
Oil markets feel the heat
Oil prices briefly touched $100 per barrel amid concerns over supply chain security in the region.
This is not the first time Houthi activity has disrupted Red Sea shipping. The group ran a sustained campaign against commercial vessels in late 2023 and into 2024, ostensibly in solidarity with Palestinians during the Gaza conflict, forcing major shipping lines like Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd to temporarily abandon Red Sea routes. The current blockade differs in its stated target: rather than broadly attacking vessels linked to Israel or Western nations, the Houthis are now directing fire specifically at Saudi-linked ships, framing the campaign as retaliation for what they describe as Saudi restrictions affecting Yemen.
Strategic calculations and regional stakes
Iran has long provided the Houthis with weapons, training, and strategic guidance, adding another layer to the standoff. The US, which conducted strikes against Houthi positions during the 2023-2024 campaign, faces a decision about whether to intervene again. European navies that took part in Operation Aspides, the EU's Red Sea protection mission, may find themselves pulled back into escort duties.
Source: Crypto Briefing
Trading involves risk.