Iran has considered striking U.S. military targets in Europe if the war escalates further, the Financial Times reported, citing two regime insiders. The report comes as the UAE suspends all trade with Tehran following a reported missile launch toward its waters, and as talks between Washington and Iran remain stalled.
Iran has weighed attacking U.S. military assets in Europe if the conflict escalates, according to two regime insiders cited by the Financial Times. The report named U.S. assets in Bulgaria and Cyprus as potential targets.
CNBC said it reached out to Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs for comment and has not independently verified the report. Negotiations between Washington and Tehran to end the war have stalled, with little sign that talks will resume.
UAE suspends trade with Iran
The United Arab Emirates said Wednesday it had paused all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. The move follows a Tuesday statement from the UAE's Ministry of Defense, which said it had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward its territorial waters.
Trump rules out reviving talks
President Donald Trump said Tuesday the U.S. is not currently in any talks with Tehran and has no plans to restart them. He has also ruled out extending the 60-day ceasefire agreement, which expired Monday after the deal effectively fell apart.
A key point of contention remains control of the Strait of Hormuz. Trump has repeatedly said the waterway is open and operating under U.S. control, but observed ship traffic through the passage remains extremely low. An attack on a cargo vessel transiting the strait earlier this week killed one person.
Source: CNBC
Trading involves risk.