Iran's security chief Mohsen Rezaei warned neighbouring states against joining a new round of U.S. sanctions, saying it would make them enemies of Tehran. The warning comes a day before U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is due to announce what the Trump administration calls the toughest sanctions yet imposed on Iran, while the Strait of Hormuz remains largely closed.
Iran threatens retaliation over sanctions
Iran warned neighbouring states that joining Washington's planned sanctions campaign would make them enemies and expose their interests to retaliation, Al Jazeera reported Sunday, citing security chief Mohsen Rezaei. The warning came a day before U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent's scheduled Monday announcement of measures the Trump administration has described as the toughest sanctions imposed on Iran.
Potential options include targeting independent Chinese refineries purchasing Iranian crude, sanctioning major Chinese banks processing Iranian funds and introducing secondary tariffs on countries trading with Tehran. China purchased more than 80% of Iran's seaborne oil in 2025, making Chinese companies and financial institutions central to Washington's effort to restrict Iranian revenue. Sanctions on large Chinese banks could also provoke retaliation from Beijing.
Tehran signals war fatigue
According to Al Jazeera: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian described the conflict as a "full-scale economic, military and security war" and acknowledged severe domestic economic problems. He called for an end to the prolonged standoff between war and peace, saying uncertainty about renewed fighting was deterring investment, and said officials were discussing how to reach an understanding that would preserve Iran's principles and prevent another attack.
His comments followed earlier calls from parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf to address the country's economic crisis and pursue peace. Iranian hardliners, by contrast, have prepared for further escalation and threatened severe retaliation against new attacks.
Hormuz stays shut as oil flows shrink
The Strait of Hormuz remains largely closed amid the standoff. Tehran says it will not reopen the waterway while the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports continues, though Iran has occasionally allowed selected vessels, including some Iraqi oil tankers, to pass. Talks with Oman over reopening arrangements have made progress but produced no agreement.
U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright previously said military operations had helped move a seven-day average of 8 million barrels of oil per day through Hormuz, down from more than 20 million before the war.
French President Emmanuel Macron and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are expected to discuss alternative trade routes, including expanded pipelines, rail links and greater use of Omani ports outside the Gulf. Pakistan's army chief, Asim Munir, will visit Tehran on Monday as Islamabad continues efforts to support regional diplomacy.
Source: Investing.com
Trading involves risk.